I think I understand what Web 2.0 is all about. It is simply the new website/internet technology that makes me feel old.
When I was in high school I did computing. Our class was one of the first where computing was offered, and I remember going through Uni feeling like I was quite up to date in the computing world. When I started teaching in 1994 all the teachers around me were much older and made me feel like a computer genius compared to them! They would say things like "You young people are so lucky to have grown up with computers and know how to use them. We don't understand a thing about them!"
So I would show them how to use a word processor and send emails and teach them how to borrow a book using the Alice library management system.
And now I have turned into one of them! Our "young people" have grown up using new and fantastic ways of using technology, and I somehow forgot to keep up with it all! I think Web 2.0 is a term that means "the stuff Pamela doesn't know how to do yet".
Anyway on a different note, I was also checking out the Library 2.0 links provided in #4, and there were things I agree with and don't agree with.
I agree that my job is to help people find what they need and to help make libraries more interactive places. I'm sure this course will help me do that, even if I start with something simple like getting my kids to write book reviews on my library catalogue. That would be making my catalogue more interactive I guess.
But I've also been reading about the "libraries without books" debate. I don't think we will ever have libraries without books. Books may take a back seat to technology, but there will never be libraries without books. Not in my lifetime anyway. There is just something so enjoyable about having a book in your hands that no computer will ever be able to replace.
Just like I could choose to go and buy a cake from the shops because it is far easier and quicker than baking, but there is still something very satisfying about making a cake from scratch. Or hand-sewing your own clothes or quilts. I truly believe that while traditional hobbies/methods may never be as popular (or necessary!) as in the past, there are people in the world who will choose to do them simply for the enjoyment of it! No, books will never be gone from our shelves.
One last thing I have discovered about Web 2.0 - blogging is a great way to have a good old natter to someone, or no-one, and I don't even mind if no-one ever looks at it! (Sorry Fiona, I know it is your job to read our blogs, so I apologise for the drivel!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think you're absolutely right about libraries without books. If you think about mediums which are obsolete or rare now - none of them were every anything remotely close to being a part of LIFE the way a book is. Records, 8-tracks, cassettes. Books are ingrained but it's also tactile and comfortable - although perhaps our bodies will evolve towards this new medium of ebooks?? Hmm I'd never thought of that before.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you would apologise! There is no need! That was such an enjoyable post, and see above you've made me think more about things I think about all the time - and I found a new perspective within my OWN train of thought which could be completely useless but I am all for debate and consideration. More so consideration - we have so many things to think about it! I'm a bit of a verbal vomit kind of person (I hate using the other analogy which comes out the other end) and so I will always encourage the rambling prose I am inclined towards because it's the way I work best! You can say as much or as little as you like!
See - I've just spent a long time myself commenting!