Tuesday, May 4, 2010

#13 MySpace

How did I start off looking at Public Library pages, finding out how to use MySpace professionally, and end up at Tom Hank's page? Easy - just like everything else so far in this Web 2.0 course, it is very easy to get distracted and go from link to link for hours.

This is the first time I've checked out MySpace. I had kind of guessed what it was like, and I wasn't far off the mark. Really interesting to check out people's pages, and interesting to see what the public libraries have created.

Personally I don't think I would create a MySpace page. I see my friends, email people, and have Facebook (and hopefully soon have a public Flickr "diary") . That, for the moment, is enough of communicating and sharing. I would rather allocate my spare time to other things, rather than spend more time on the computer.

Professionally, I am really impressed at what some of the public libraries have done. For a public library I think it is a fantastic tool to reach out to young people, and teach them about today's libraries.

For a primary school, I think I would give it a miss. Many primary schools these days have their own student network or learning platform that students can access, and many school libraries have their own space within these platforms. I believe that having too many access points for basically the same thing can lessen the impact. I would rather have one quality access point that my kids can really get familiar with, and get my messages through that way.

Our learning platform is currently being recreated, but I am really keen to get the library page set up, and I imagine there will be many similar features to MySpace.

No comments:

Post a Comment